Friday, December 10, 2010

Barbara's Recipe Corner December 2010 - World Famous Chile Cheese Egg Bake

WORLD FAMOUS CHILE CHEESE EGG BAKE

This will feed 15 people:

I use a large Pyrex dish - probably 13 x 9 inches.

Mix the following ingredients together:

16 eggs
1 x 1lb tub of non-fat sour cream (or you can use light, if you prefer)
** 13 oz chopped chilies (I buy the large cans from the wholesalers)
but you may only find small ones in the grocery store!)
6 - 8 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated (I use Monterey Jack and Cheddar blend)
Approx.25 good shakes of Louisiana Hot Sauce
Salt and black pepper to taste
(I also add crushed red pepper for extra zip!!)
** lately I have been using the whole can, i.e. 1 lb 12 oz

(I have increased the cheese and probably everything else 'cos I think it's better this way)!!

You prepare the Pyrex dish by splitting approx. 5 English muffins and buttering them well. Place them upside down in the dish and pour the mixture over them. (You may want to fill in the gaps with bits and pieces of English muffins, but you won't need more than 6).

You don't need to pre-heat the oven. Bake at approx. 350 Fahrenheit for about 1 hour (might take longer if the dish is smaller, and the egg bake is deeper). Watch out for the middle - it always takes a little longer than the edges. I turn the egg-bake around half-way through baking so that it's browned evenly.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment