Total preparation time: 20 Minutes
1 x 6” Flour Tortilla Per Person (1 makes 2 tortilla eggs) - (I warm the tortillas for a minute in the microwave to make them more pliable)
Chopped Hot Cherry Peppers (they come in a jar!)
8 Eggs (2 per person)
Spring Onions (scallions), chopped
Fresh roughly grated Parmesan or Reggiano cheese
1. Grease muffin tin with Pam and preheat oven to 375
2. Cut each tortilla into 4 – place two quarters pointed side down to form a cup
3. Put one tsp chopped cherry peppers in each cup
4. Crack egg against a glass, and open into each tortilla cup. White pepper and salt on the eggs. Add (nice amount) of chopped scallions & grated parmeggiano or reggiano cheese over the eggs.
5. Place in warmest part of oven for 15 – 18 minutes (depending on how many you make)
6. Serve on warmed plates, side by side, with a spring of rosemary in the middle.
7. Home fries make a nice accompaniment to this dish. (see below.)
I serve these eggs with home fries, at least that is what my guests call them: I use red potatoes, unpeeled. I microwave them, allow them to cool, cut them into chunks, and fry in hot oil. When the potatoes are nice and brown on one side, I shake the pan to toss the potatoes. I add sea salt (no pepper) and at the very end of the cooking add fresh rosemary (if available.)
Tip to the chef: When microwaving the potatoes, it works to place the tortillas on the potatoes for about a minute to soften them. Don't forget to re-adjust the timer, probably 8 - 12 minutes for 4 potatoes, depending on their size.